Your credit score is a key element when applying for a mortgage. It is very important that you take care of your credit from the day you get your first credit card. Small credit issues can haunt people when trying to apply for a mortgage, even if those issues were years ago.
Here are a few tips to help ensure you maintain a clean credit profile:
– Always pay your debts on time. At the very least, make your minimum payment.
– Avoid frequent credit checks
– Keep your balances at 75% or below the limits
– Some debt is good (and necessary) but no one needs 7 credit cards
– Most lenders will want to see that you have at least 2 pieces of active credit with at least a 2 year history on each
If you’d like to know more about your credit and how to maintain it, I’m happy to help.